Friday 17 July 2015

The world according to Greg...

So, I work in IT for a very big IT provider - if they can't supply what you need, end to end, I'm not sure anyone else can?

I'm married with 2 kids, 2 cats, I'm a stroke survivor, with a heart condition (2 really, but one of them was fixed...) & am pretty tall...  2 metres, which is about 6'6" in old money.  The irony of one of my heart conditions is that I need to avoid stress!  Not so easy when you refer back to the 1st 3 parts of this paragraph...  :-). 

As a result of the stroke, I set up a Facebook group called Young Stroke Survivors, which is running at over 4,500 members!  A lot more than I'd envisioned when I set it up!  It came to me as an idea in 2007 (I think?), when I'd had trouble reaching out to other survivors and had recently discovered Facebook.  I suddenly thought it would be a great way to reach out to others who found themselves in the same position as me & it turned out to be a good idea - it's help connect a lot of survivors!  I like to do things to help people, so am pleased it has achieved that & continues to.  With my work, I struggle to find the time to be an active administrator, but we have a great group of people involved in administering it - in UK & USA.  Could do with some more in Australasia time zone, but no volunteers as yet....

So why am I blogging?  I'm not sure to be honest.  I've heard lots of things about it, seen other people do it & thought I'd have a go?  Will people be interested in what I have to say?  Who knows!  Guess I'll find out!

2 comments:

  1. Greg, thanks for creating Young Stroke Survivors on Facebook. It's helped many young stroke survivors who'd had no other place to congregate with others facing similar challenges. Hope you find your blog as a place to reflect and reduce stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Been a funny old week, given I wrote that Friday & everything that happened since!

      Delete